Understanding MOSS integrity checker

What is Moss ? Forums General Understanding MOSS integrity checker

Tagged: 

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Coconut 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Coconut
    Participant

Hey!

I’d like some insight to the meanings of the following messages when checking for MOSS file integrity.

ZIP renamed (doesn’t necessarily mean anything else than the zip is renamed?)
    LOG corrupted (means that log file has been edited?)
    ZIP corrupted (means that the zip as a whole is edited in some way?)
    Invalid file (consequence of the things above?)

I’d like clarification that does getting LOG/ZIP corrupted mean for sure that the ZIP (and it’s contents) have been manipulated in some way.
    Can this happen only because of intentional manipulation?

Let me know, if you want an example MOSS I found from a player.

– Coconut

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  Coconut.

nohope
    Keymaster

You are globally right , zip corrupted means the zip content doesn’t match the log, images have been replaced or edited
    Usually it’s a user action
    In case of doubt send me the zip

Coconut
    Participant

Hello and thanks for the answer.

So, this cannot happen without user action?

For example: https://play.eslgaming.com/player/replays/11798683/
    Literally every single MOSS file he has ever uploaded:
    ZIP renamed
    LOG corrupted
    ZIP corrupted
    Invalid file

Then again if I randomly check some known high level player’s MOSS (or mine), they all are:
    ZIP name is ok / renamed
    ZIP is ok

Are you able to confirm confirm that his MOSS files are touched prior to upload to ESL?

nohope
    Keymaster

Yes probably but the games are several months old, far from usual protest delays in the ESL

Coconut
    Participant

Yeah, I am not looking to protest or even bring anything to ESL. Just as an example.

I am just trying to understand that if the integrity checker returns those lines, it is safe to say that the moss file has been edited in some way and therefore it is wise to protest if one ever encounters such an opponent.

nohope
    Keymaster

yes the checker recalc the log CRC and compare to the final CRC stored inside , if a single byte change it means the log has been edited.
    same thing with each image CRC , if there is a difference it means a JPG has been substed

so basically : removing, editing or changing a JPG => alert
    touching anything in text log => alert

Coconut
    Participant

If a player forcibly closes MOSS after the monitoring session (where MOSS “freezes”), can this happen without actually touching anything?

nohope
    Keymaster

not , in there case there wouldnt be any log , the log is inserted in zip only at the last second of session

Coconut
    Participant

Alright, thanks for the information.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.